Whitney Pinger and the DC Chapter of ACNM won a National Midwifery Media Award for their work on this presentation.
"Pearls for Normal Birth"
- Encourage women to eat in early labor and drink throughout.
- No routine IV fluids: don’t dilute normal oxytocin levels.
- Intermittently auscultate the fetal heart rite.
- Keep women upright, mobile, and wet.
- Encourage doulas.
- Don’t routinely break the bag of water.
- Give women the time they need to birth their babies.
- Wait for women to involuntarily push; labor down with epidurals.
- No routine episiotomies or aggressive vaginal stretching.
- Delay cord clamping and actively but gently manage the third stage.
- Encourage immediate skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding.
- Listen to the evidence, listen to women, and trust yourself.